Greenville County Schools Technology
Greenville County Schools is pleased to be able to provide a personal device for every student in grades 3-5 to be used in the classroom to enhance the educational experience. Greenville County teachers are preparing students for jobs and careers that will be heavily focused on technology. For students, the ability to use technology efficiently to get work done, creatively to produce work and effectively to communicate and collaborate with others will be critical to survive the 21st Century workplace.
We live in a century defined by change. Many political and socioeconomic factors that have limited the economies of parts of the world have slowly been removed while huge technological advances have been made, allowing universal access to the flattening power of the Internet. Ubiquitous access to the Internet has shifted the demand on American students to develop skills that prepare them for more than the traditional workplace. Students in America today are no longer alone in competing for jobs in America.
Greenville County believes that it is our responsibility to prepare students for all paths of life including future education and future careers, especially careers that do not exist currently. We believe we must provide students with the skills necessary to adapt to change in a century that has seen change more rapidly than any previous century.
- Extend student learning beyond the walls of the classroom
- Prepare students to be safe, responsible and innovative digital citizens
- Engage students in real-world problems by collaborating with others in the classroom and across the world
- Enable students to take responsibility for their own learning
- Provide students with the tools to be successful in their future endeavors in higher education and/or careers
- Provide equal access to technology and tools to all students in order to provide equal opportunities for all students
Personal Device Objectives
The mission of the Personal Learning Device Chromebook Initiative at Woodland Elementary School is to collaboratively foster learning with an engaging and challenging environment that will prepare our students for middle school, high school, and beyond. The Chromebook will enable teachers to create a student-centered, student-driven environment that encourages innovation and creativity. In an ever-growing, globalized society, students will be able to use their personal device as a gateway to information, and as a means to collaborate with others. The staff will be provided with continual support and professional development to assist in the development of high-quality instruction for all students.
Goals and Objectives of the Program
Goal 1: Increase literacy skills through classroom instruction for students including fluency and reading for pleasure and to gain information for personal and academic use.
- Objective 1: Provide necessary technology and training for students and teachers to facilitate pleasure reading and for informational text.
- Objective 2: Provide reading materials to students and staff.
- Objective 3: Utilize specific programs/applications for supplemental instruction in reading, math, science, and social studies.
- Objective 4: Provide supporting accessories for technology for staff and students.
- Objective 1: Utilize tech-books, when available, in science, social studies, ELA, and math for instruction.
- Objective 2: Implement the use of virtual field trips and video conferencing to fill gaps in background knowledge and vocabulary deficits.
- Objective 3: Implement literary studies and information analysis in Gifted and Talented and English/Language Arts through digital media.
- Objective 1: Provide professional development for teachers and staff on utilizing tech books and e-readers.
- Objective 2: Provide students and parents with the skills necessary to engage themselves into a digital world.
- Objective 3: Provide opportunities for students and parents to become financially invested in 21st century education.