Cell Phone Policy
Several questions have come up regarding the cell phone policy for students at Travelers Rest High School. Our policy is that of Greenville County Schools and is contained in the student handbook that each student has been issued the first day of school. It can also be viewed at www.greenville.k12.sc.us as part of the student discipline code.
The following is a summary of this policy;
- Cell phones are not to be powered on or visible during the school day, which is 8:30-3:45 each day.
- Violations will result in the cell phone being confiscated by faculty or staff.
- Cell phones will be returned only to parents/guardians at a conference with administrators. These conferences will be held 4:15-4:45 in the afternoon.
- Confiscated cell phones will be kept by the school, per district policy, according to the number of the offense as follows;
- First Offense - returned to parent/guardian the next school day
- Second Offense - returned to parent/guardian after 30 calendar days
- Third and Subsequent Offenses - returned to parent/guardian after 60 calendar days
- Refusal to turn a cell phone over to any adult upon request will be considered insubordination. The student will be suspended for insubordination along with being assigned the appropriate cell phone offense.
- Loaned cell phones will result in a cell phone offense being assigned to both students involved.
In addition, iPods or other music devises such as mp3 players, cd players, etc. are prohibited during the instructional day. Such devices will be treated the same as cell phones with the same consequences.
Please encourage your students to keep these devices off and put away during the school day. Do not hesitate to call the school if you have any questions.
Travelers Rest High School