The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
The mission of Sterling School is to provide a differentiated, challenging education to meet the distinctive intellectual, social and emotional needs of our students.
Sterling School serves as an elementary school of choice (4K – 5th grade) with children from the school’s surrounding neighborhoods provided first choice to attend. Sterling School also continues as the home of the county-wide gifted center, named in honor of Charles Townes, a choice program for highly gifted students in grades three through eight who qualify for the program.
Contact Information99 John McCarroll Way, Greenville, South Carolina 29607
Phone: 864-355-4480 Fax: 864-355-4490
School Hours: Elementary 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Middle School: 8:00 a.m. - 2:45 p.m.
What Makes Sterling Unique
- Sterling School is home to two programs: Sterling elementary, serving students 4K-5th grades,
and the Charles Townes Center, a select program for highly gifted students (grades 3-8). The
programs operate within a single school and will be guided by unified beliefs, vision and
mission. The uniqueness of each program is in large part to the manner in which we modify the content, process,
product and learning environment in order to meet the specific needs of each child.
- Both programs take advantage of the opportunity to experience education at its highest level. By participating in a joint endeavor, all students deepen their understanding of issues which influence our community and country, and they gain perspective regarding the diversity that characterizes our world. There are frequent opportunities for students to contribute to school and the community through interactive relationships.
Regardless of instructional programming, students must be afforded a challenging and enriching curriculum that emphasizes higher order thinking skills and complex problem-solving, while ensuring that their social and emotional needs have been met.
AdmissionsFor information on how to attend the elementary school program at Sterling, click here.
Charles Townes Center
The Charles Townes Center serves 3rd - 8th grades with 75 students per grade level. Students are chosen from a three-tiered criteria designed to identify highly gifted students from throughout the district.
BeliefsTo support an excellent education for our students we believe:
- Students of exceptionally high intellectual potential do not simply learn faster, they often learn in a
qualitatively different way; they deserve appropriate rigor, complexity, and depth in what they learn,
as well as opportunities to demonstrate significant academic and intellectual growth,
- Fostering a love of learning is a shared enterprise among home, school, community and student and
that we will communicate openly and work together to support the intellectual curiosity and active
participation by students in managing their learning,
- Students will obtain personal academic growth through self-evaluation of their approach to learning,
- Self-esteem, honesty, fairness, respect, empathy, integrity, and cooperation are essential in our
dealings with one another,
- We should offer our students opportunities for service, leadership, appreciation of cultural diversity,
creative expression, and activities that enrich their learning.