Mitchell Road Elementary School - Guidance Department
Matthew Davidson, Guidance Counselor-355-6704, firstname.lastname@example.org
Character Education is an integral part of developing Ready, Respectful, & Responsible students. Students at Mitchell Road Elementary School receive a high level of support services from an outstanding staff. We have a full time guidance counselor who works with students, parents, teachers, and various social service organizations for the support of our school family. The guidance counselor provides classroom guidance, small group counseling, individual counseling, test coordinating, and also makes home visits when needed.
Character education is provided through monthly lessons in the classroom from the Guidance Counselor embedded into the regular education curriculum. The 7 Habits of Happy Kids by Sean Covey is used to facilitate classroom discussions. Each month a new habit is taught and students are selected to represent their class as the Citizen of the Month based on the habits. The 7 Habits and a brief description of each habit are listed below:
- Habit 1: Be Proactive – You’re in Charge
- Habit 2: Begin with The End in Mind – Have a Plan
- Habit 3: Put First Things First – Work First, The Play
- Habit 4: Think Win-Win – Everyone Can Win
- Habit 5: Seek First to Understand Then to Be Understood – Listen Before You Talk
- Habit 6: Synergize – Together Is Better
- Habit 7: Sharpen the Saw – Balance Feels Best
The Guidance Counselor also communicates with outside service providers when needed.