Students and parents are encouraged to visit our Attendance webpage for the most up-to-date information.
- What do I do if my child is absent from school?
It is the student’s responsibility to present a note from a parent or doctor explaining the absence to the attendance clerk and to secure an admission slip. Take this slip to all teachers who need to sign the admission slip. According to School District Policy, you have two (2) days to bring an excuse. If you forget, the absence will be regarded as an unexcused absence. This two-day (2) limit will be followed consistently. THE ADMISSION SLIP IS NOT to be given to the last period teacher. Students must turn it in to the ATTENDANCE OFFICE.
- What do I do during the day if I want to contact my student?
Only EMERGENCY messages from a parent or guardian will be given to students. Please do not try to contact your child on his/her cell phone. Classes cannot be interrupted unless it is an emergency and approved by an administrator. Students are called to the office at the END of the day during announcements to retrieve any other messages.
- How do “Early Dismissals” work?
- Students bring a written request from parents giving the reason for the
dismissal, time they must leave, and parents' work, cell and home phone numbers
to the Attendance office before 8:45 a.m. Waiting in line to turn in an early
dismissal note will not excuse a tardy if the 8:45 a.m. bell rings.
- If you do not bring a note to the attendance office before 8:30 a.m. or if
the note you brought cannot be verified, a PARENT must come to the front office
and personally sign you out. NO EARLY DISMISSALS AFTER 3:15.
- The parent will be called to verify permission to leave. For the protection
of MHS students, NO telephone or fax requests for early dismissal can be
- Students pick up the yellow form from the Attendance office during a class
change before the time of their dismissal.
- If students return to school later that same day, he/she must sign back in with the
Attendance office staff. They will log your time of return on the form, which
will serve as admission to enter the class in progress and also as the
note to cover the classes you missed.
YOU MUST PRESENT A DOCTOR'S NOTE OR OTHER OFFICIAL NOTE TO ATTENDANCE FOR
APPROVAL FOR ANY DISMISSAL TO BE EXCUSED. A PARENT'S REQUEST TO LEAVE IS NOT
- Students: Return your yellow form with the appropriate teacher signatures to the
Attendance office at the end of the next day after your teachers have seen it.
- Early dismissals from the Health room are handled as any other early
dismissal. IF YOU ARE SICK, YOU MUST LEAVE THROUGH THE HEALTH ROOM. IT IS
CONSIDERED AS AN EXCUSED ABSENCE. SHOW THE DISMISSAL SLIP TO YOUR
TEACHERS WHEN YOU RETURN AND FINALLY RETURN THE SLIP TO ATTENDANCE.
- All requests for early dismissals will be classified as "excused" or
"unexcused" depending on the reason and paperwork returned. Official doctor's
note or other official paperwork must be returned to the attendance office with
the yellow dismissal slip for an early dismissal to be excused. (REMEMBER: To
be counted present in any class, a student must be in the class at least half of
the class period time.)
- The Attendance Office is located in the Main Office. Students who arrive after 8:45 am should stop by the attendance office for an admit slip.
- Do I have to come into the school to sign my child out for an early
dismissal? No, IF you send a note with a phone number where you can be reached
for confirmation AND your child drops your note off in the attendance office
BEFORE school begins, then you do not need to come into the building. IF not, then you must report to the front office to get your child.
- Where do I park when I come to pick up my child early from school? Park in
visitor parking. You may wait for your student there IF your student has
followed the proper early dismissal procedures by taking a signed parent note to
Attendance before 8:45 a.m. Otherwise, you must come inside the main office and
sign out your student. Only walk-in early dismissals are allowed before 3:15 PM.
- Never take you child off campus without him/her having a yellow dismissal
slip. Always have your student bring the yellow slip back, show it to their teacher(s), and return it to the attendance office.