Reporting COVID-19 Positive Test Results
Parents are asked to report any COVID-19 symptoms or positive test results to the school principal or your student's grade level administrator.
If your child is exhibiting any of the following symptoms, with or without fever (100.4 or greater), they must be excluded from school and may return with a negative COVID test OR a doctor’s note clearing return with no further exclusion.
- New/worsening cough
- Shortness of breath/difficulty breathing
- New loss of taste and smell
If your child tests positive for COVID, you must report it to the school, and your child must isolate for 5 days. If your child tests positive for COVID-19, they may return to school activities, as outlined in the provided guidance, on Day 6 as long as the following DHEC requirements are met:
- Symptoms are significantly improving and no fever in the past 24 hours without using fever-reducing medication
- A mask must be worn days 6-10 including asymptomatic persons, unless the person tests negative on two rapid antigen tests performed on Days 6 and 8, then the mask may be removed after the negative test on Day 8.
- If either test on Day 6 or 8 is positive, the mask must be worn through day 10 and no further testing is recommended.
- If a mask is not worn as instructed above, a 10-day isolation must be observed.
- Student athletes may participate in athletics on Day 8 without restriction if they test negative on two rapid antigen tests performed on Days 6 and 8. If they do not provide documentation of two negative tests on Day 6 and 8, students are not eligible to participate in athletics until after Day 10.
Student are also required to exclude from school with one of the following symptoms but does not require COVID-19 medical clearance:
- Fever (100.4 or greater). Must be 24 hours fever free before returning to school. (this means without the use of fever reducing medications).
- Diarrhea (3 or more episodes of loose stools in a 24 hour period). Must be 24 hours diarrhea free before returning to school (this means without the use of diarrhea suppressing medication).
- Vomiting (2 or more times in a 24 hour period). Must be 24 hours without vomit and able to have 1 to 2 meals before returning to school. (this means without the use of vomiting suppressing medications)
GCS Parent COVID-19 Resources Webpage