School Improvement Council
South Carolina initiated School Improvement Councils through legislation as a means of restoring the influential voice of parents and community members in public education. Each public school in South Carolina has a School Improvement Council that is responsible for planning, monitoring, and evaluating improvement at the school level. The School Improvement Council at Augusta Circle has the following responsibilities:
- Participate in the development of the five-year school improvement plan.
- Assist in the monitoring of the implementation of the plan and evaluation of results on achieving the goals.
- Assist in the writing of the annual updates.
- Advise on the spending of incentive funds if the school receives an award.
- Write the narrative to the School Report Card in conjunction with the principal.
- Participate in the revision of the school improvement plan if the school is rated unsatisfactory on the School Report Card.
Schedule for 2017-2018 SIC Meetings:
September 28, October 26, November 30, January 25, February 22, March 22 & April 26
Meetings are held at 11:00 in the school’s conference room.
The Augusta Circle SIC is an active participant in the education accountability process, helping our administration plan, evaluate and set policy. Our council is comprised of fourteen appointed and elected representatives, and includes teachers, community representatives and parents.
The current area of focus for the SIC is to facilitate partnerships between home, school and community to increase student achievement and bolster parents' capacity to improve their child's learning, especially vulnerable students that now or will soon attend Augusta Circle Elementary School.
There are many opportunities available for anyone wishing to become involved in school improvement. The SIC would welcome individuals with skills and experience related to early childhood education, adult learning, outreach, community activism or government. Meetings are open to the public, and guests are always welcome.
Please contact Kerry Bannister, Augusta Circle principal, to get involved or request more information.