Prior to beginning the conduct of any business on its agenda for regularly scheduled monthly meetings, up to one hour will be set aside during which persons may speak to the Board.
Persons wishing to speak must register in person prior to the board meeting. Registration will be from 6:15 p.m. to 6:50 p.m. on the night of the board meeting. Each person shall register with his name, address, and topic to present. The chairman will recognize those registered in the order in which they registered. The administration will provide for an expeditious and orderly registration procedure.
Persons who want to appear before the Committee of the Whole will have an opportunity to register to do so on the day of the meeting between 8:30 and 8:50. The allocated time for all speakers will NOT exceed one hour. A person who has spoken at one meeting and requests to speak on the same topic again at a later meeting will be placed at the bottom of the list of speakers.
- Persons not registering to appear under the procedures set forth herein will be allowed to participate only with the unanimous consent of the members present and only when their presentation pertains to an item under discussion.
- Speakers may not ask questions of individual board members and board members may not engage the speakers in discussion.
- Abusive language or personal attacks aimed at students or district staff members will not be permitted. The chairman will rule either out of order and may require the speaker to relinquish the floor as a result of engaging in either.
- No speaker may engage in disorderly or disruptive conduct nor direct any scurrilous, obscene, or recklessly defamatory language at any Board member. The chairman will rule such conduct out of order and may require the speaker to relinquish the floor as a result of engaging in it.
- Action or discussion generated as a result of a speaker will be handled at the appropriate time on the agenda, at a later meeting, or at the chairman's direction.
- The superintendent will designate an administrator to follow up on matters that speakers raise in their presentations. The designee will ensure that an appropriate response is provided to each speaker, and the superintendent will supply monthly to each Board member a report of any follow-up activity.
- No presentation by a speaker will exceed three minutes.
(Complete guidelines are outlined in Policy KCA.)