2015-16 Change in Assignment Choice Lottery Results Posted
Space by Grade Level Will Later Determine Assignments
Lottery results provide the order of selection for each student for each requested school. Parents can access their student’s information by using their choice form number. Students’ names are not listed.
The lottery order, step three of the process, does not guarantee placement. Space by grade level will later determine school choice assignments. That information will be determined based on student projections for each school by grade. Student choice assignments will be determined and assignment letters sent to all parents no later than Friday, March 27, 2015.
Change in Assignment Choice does not impact the process for applying to the district’s 11 magnet academies and Sara Collins Elementary. Those schools are not included in the Change in Assignment Choice process. Three other schools have variations in the assignment/choice process. At some schools, assignments are limited due to available space.
- Dr. Phinnize J. Fisher Middle School
- Sterling School – There is a First Choice geocode assignment area, as well as the Change in Assignment Choice Process. Students for The Charles Townes Center are selected using Gifted and Talented criteria.
- Wade Hampton High School – Students selected for the Fine Arts Center may request to attend. Other students may attend through the Change in Assignment Choice Process.
(Note: Parents who have misplaced their choice form number will need to go to the school where they completed the request form and provide proper identification to receive a copy of their request form.)
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 355-7266 or 355-7263.
Change in Assignment Lottery Process
Step 1: Returning Students Declare Intent - By Friday, December 5, 2014, parents with a student(s) currently attending a school on Change in Assignment Choice must declare their intent for their child to return to their choice school for the following school year. Parents are sent a renewal form by their child’s school.
Step 2: Choice Lottery Window - From December 8-19, 2014, parents/guardians complete a choice form for up to three schools for their child and submit it at their number one choice school. Parents receive a form number to later check the lottery results. Order of receipt of form during lottery window does not impact selection. (Note: Parents of 5K students for 2015-16 should submit choice requests during the Choice Lottery Window, and not wait until kindergarten registration in January.)
Step 3: Lottery Results Posted - No later than Wednesday, February 18, 2015, lottery results by grade for each school will be posted on the GCS website. Results provide the order of lottery selection by grade for each school. Names are not listed. Parents access results by using their choice form number. Space by grade level will later determine the choice assignments. Students selecting a school as a higher choice have priority over students selecting the school as a lower choice.
Order of Lottery Assignments (Based on space availability)
- Students with siblings who will return to the requested school on Change in Assignment Choice for the upcoming school year have first priority of assignment to their #1 choice school.
- Students from overcrowded schools may be given the next priority. If this priority is necessary, it will be declared at the start of that year’s Change in Assignment Choice process. (This priority is not included in 2015-16 process.)
- All other students residing within the school system and children of full-time district employees have the next priority.
- Students residing outside the school system are the last group to be considered.
Step 4: Student Assignment Letters - No later than Friday, March 27, 2015, student choice assignments will be determined and assignment letters sent to parents. For students currently being served in a Greenville County school, the letter will be sent home with the students. Others will be mailed. Once a student is assigned to a requested choice school, lower school choice requests are automatically withdrawn from the lottery system.
Step 5: Waiting Lists Established - Students who are not assigned to a requested choice school will be placed on a waiting list for each requested school. If space becomes available at the requested school(s), students on the waiting list are assigned based on their established ranking from the waiting list. This process will continue through the first ten days of the 2015-16 school year.