General Benefits Information/Eligibility
Insurance/Benefits staff is available for after-hours appointments for special circumstances. To schedule an appointment, email: email@example.com or call (864) 355-0960.
- The employee must be employed with Greenville County Schools in a permanent and full time basis working 30 or more hours per week.
- Part time employees may also be eligible based on their position.
- The employee must complete appropriate election forms with 30 days of the date of employment or status change.
Enrollment Deadline: 30 days from hire date
Effective Date: State Insurance
- Employed 1st day of the month –coverage begins on that day.
- Employed 1st working day of the month-coverage may begin the 1st day of that month or the following month.
- Employed after the 1st working day of the month – coverage begins the 1st day of the following month.
Open Enrollment is held each year in October for a January 1st benefit effective date. Please note that the Dental Plan is only available at Open Enrollment in odd-numbered years for a January 1st benefit effective date.
Spouse including a Legal Same-Sex spouse/Children (younger than 26): Eligible dependents may be added to coverage.
No Pre-Existing Conditions for Health Plans
State Standard Health Plan and Savings Plan
- Worldwide access to network hospital/physicians through the Blue Card Program.
Making Changes to Insurance Program:
- Eligible employees may make certain changes to benefits during designated enrollment periods and within 30 days of a family status change or special eligibility situation. Visit the Special Eligibility Situations page for more information.
- Enrolling in a health plan will require certification as a tobacco or non-tobacco user. If only you, as the employee, are enrolled and use tobacco, there will be an additional $40 per month surcharge added to the health premium. If dependents are covered (even if only one out of the group uses tobacco), an additional $60 per month surcharge will be added to the health premium.
- As an active employee, PEBA Insurance Benefits considers you a transfer if you change employment from one participating group to another with no break in insurance coverage or with a break of employment of no more than 15 calendar days.
- A transfer is not a new hire for insurance purposes. He must remain enrolled in the same insurance benefits in which he was enrolled at his former employer.
- You must notify Greenville County Schools if you are transferring from another participating group within PEBA.
- Members are encouraged to notify Medi-Call during the first trimester of a pregnancy and participate in the Maternity Management Program. However, the State Health Plan no longer financially penalizes a member for failure to do so. Please remember: members are still required to preauthorize any hospital admission, including those related to having a baby, and will be financially penalized for failure to do so. For details, contact PEBA at 1-888-260-9430.