Skip to main content
Energy Management Tips
Hallways and Corridors
- Turn on hallway and corridor lights no more than 5 minutes before students arrive
- Turn OFF hallway and corridor lights as soon as the last student leaves
Classrooms, Offices, and Other
- If you are leaving a room for more than 5 minutes, turn off the lights.
- Use cafeteria lights ONLY during lunch
- Remove bulbs from accent lights whose purpose is for looks only.
- Remove bulbs in areas that seem to be over-lit.
- Utilize natural (sun) light whenever possible
- If possible, turn off hallway and corridor lights during class
- Remove bulbs from accent lights whose purpose is for looks only and in areas that seem to be over-lit
- Use lamps with compact fluorescent light bulbs instead of ceiling fixtures
- Strategically plan after-school daycare in elementary schools so that only the lights in areas used are on
Exterior Doors and Windows
- DO NOT Prop open exterior doors and windows for any reason
- All schedule changes should be submitted to Bobby Kelly via COMFORTZONE at least 24 hrs in advance
- Be sure ALL heat producing appliances are kept away from the thermostat (computer, monitor, etc)
- Be sure there is nothing in front of/adjacent to your thermostat, preventing the air from circulating past it.
- Be sure there is not a vent blowing directly onto your thermostat.
- Have coaches use dryers for wet uniforms instead of hanging in lockers (will prevent condensation, mold and bad odors).
- Personal appliances should be removed from the classroom
- All personal appliances should be removed from classrooms and offices (refrigerators, personal heaters, coffee makers
- ***Exception: Refrigerators may be used when needed for curriculum or medical purposes.
- Turn off technology equipment in classrooms, offices, computer labs and workrooms anytime they are not in use.
- ***Exception: 2009 Lexmark Update copiers and printers should remain plugged in and turned on
Weekends and Long Breaks
- Unplug all plug loads that are plugged into “easily accessible” outlets.
Lamps and Fans
- Lamps and fans may be used
- Use only CFL bulbs; DO NOT use incandescent bulbs
- Use gym lights as little as possible
- Turn on stadium lights no more than 1 hour before the start of an event
- Turn OFF stadium lights within 1 hour of the event’s conclusion (or as soon as it is safe to do so)
Field Houses and Concession Stands
- Be sure all athletic field houses and concession stands are properly closed (night, weekends, long breaks, off-seasons)
- Be sure all athletic field houses and concession stands are properly winterized during cold month