Step 1: Returning Students - By Thursday, November 11, 2021, parents with a student(s) currently attending a school on Change in Assignment Choice will receive an email from Planning and Demographics and must respond to email if student is not returning.
Step 2: Choice Lottery Window - From November 15, 2021 through December 1, 2021, parents/guardians go to their first choice school to complete a choice form for up to three schools (this form is not available online). Parents receive a copy of the choice form with the number to later check the lottery results. Order of receipt of form during lottery window does not affect selection. (Note: Parents of 5K students for 2022-23 should submit choice requests during the Choice Lottery Window, and not wait until kindergarten registration. This includes parents who already have a sibling at the school. Space is the determining factor whether a child is granted a slot.)
Step 3: Lottery Results Posted - No later than Wednesday, February 9, 2022, lottery results reflecting the numerical order of applicants will be posted on the GCS website. Results provide the order of applicants by grade for each school only and do not reflect assignment or approval. This list is static and does not reflect waitlist number(s) after initial choice allocations. Parents can access lottery numerical order results by using their choice form number. Later, available space by grade level will determine the choice assignments for each school. Requests submitted January 3, 3022 or later are not posted.
Order of Lottery Assignments (Based on space availability)
- Students with siblings who will return to the requested school on Change in Assignment Choice for the upcoming school year have first priority of assignment to their #1 choice school if space is available.
- Students from overcrowded schools may be given the next priority. Decisions made yearly.
- All other students residing within the school system and children of full-time District employees have the next priority.
- Students residing outside the school system
Step 4: Change in Assignment Choice Notification - By Thursday, March 31, 2022 notification letters will be mailed to parents/guardians advising if the student received a slot at a requested school or if placed on the wait list. Wait list number will be provided.
Step 5: Waiting Lists Established - Students who are not assigned to a requested choice school will be placed on a waiting list for each requested school. If space becomes available at the requested school(s), students on the waiting list are assigned based on their established ranking from the waiting list. This process will continue through the first eight days of the 2022-23 school year.
- Parents must provide transportation to/from school attending through Change in Assignment Choice.
- Attendance at a school other than home-based may render a student ineligible for athletic participation for one calendar year as determined by the SC High School League.
- Change in Assignment Choice requests for students qualifying for services under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act or for accommodations under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act will be considered on an equal basis if the requested school provides an appropriate education in accordance with the student’s Individualized Education Program or Accommodation Plan, is appropriately accessible, and has space in the program the student requires.
- All Change in Assignment Choice requests are filled from lottery results and post lottery results if space is available; otherwise students are placed on waiting list.
Questions should be directed to Student Assignment Office at 355-7266 or 355-7263 or email Planning@greenville.k12.sc.us.