Library Staff: Stephanie Nichols, Media Specialist;
Maxi Farnsworth, Media Clerk
Battle of the Books - Meet BoB! Do you like to read? Do you like trivia questions?
Then, put the two together and help us fight the
Battle of the Books! BoB is your chance to show how much you know about a specific set of books. Students read from a pre-determined list of ten books. After completing the reading list, students will compete against other teams of fourth and/or fifth graders by answering questions about the books. Every question asked in a battle is answered by the title and author of the book and takes the form of: "in which book...?" The winning school team goes on to participate at the district level.
- Complete the BoB Intent to Participate Form.
- Start reading the BoB books. 2011-2012 BoB Titles
- Once the ten book titles are announced September 1st, you will need to read a minimum of three of the titles by the beginning of January to be eligible to participate and attend practices
- January through mid-March - Attend practice questions meetings once, possible twice a week (days and times TBD by participants and Mrs. Nichols in January).
- February – Form teams of 6 members (5 plus an alternate) if more than 6 participants
- February-March - Possible "virtual" scrimmage with another participating elementary school for practice
- Mid-March – If needed, school competition to determine team going to district competition. Practice at least twice a week.
- Mid to Late April – District competition typically at Mauldin High School starting at 6:00 p.m.
Green Team - The Sterling Green Team meets every Thursday through the beginning of May to help manage Sterling’s recycling program. Each month the "team" will learn about becoming better environmental stewards during a fun “environmental activity”. Green Team members are expected to promote recycling efforts not only at school but also off campus in their daily lives as much as possible. For more information or to host an environmental activity for this group, please contact Stephanie Nichols.
Junior Book Bowl - JBB is your chance to show how much you know about a specific set of books. Students will read from a list of ~10 books. After completing the reading lists, students will compete against other teams middle school students in our school by answering questions about the books. Every question asked in a battle is answered by the title and author of the book and takes the form of: "In which book...." The winning school team will go on to participate at the district level.
Library Cadets – Interested students in grades 5 and up who have basic knowledge of the purpose of a school library, how to search for and locate library materials, and are capable of respecting patron privacy, school property and a diverse student population should request an application from school library staff. Application includes questions regarding skills required of qualified cadets and a teacher recommendation form which must be submitted with an acceptable recommendation before a student may be accepted as cadet. Under certain circumstances, students in grades 5 and up may become library cadets without the formal application process if the necessary skills/personality are independently observed by library staff.
2011-12 Library Cadets - Not all members are pictured.
Tech Team - The Sterling Tech Team is comprised of mature and trustworthy middle school students with a knack for and/or previous knowledge of computer hardware, software programs and/or repair. Interested students should contact Stephanie Nichols, Media Specialist, to complete an online questionnaire regarding their computer knowledge and to have teacher(s) complete the required recommendation. Under certain circumstances, middle school students may be invited to join Tech Team without the formal application process if the necessary tech and confidentiality skills required for the program are independently observed by staff.
2011-12 Tech Team - Not all members are pictured.
SC Book Award Program
Details about the 2012-13 books are coming soon!
- SC Picture Book Award Nominees (K-5 - Grade 2)
- SC Children's Book Award Nominees (Grades 3-5)
- SC Junior Book Award Nominees - CTC (Grades 6-8)