Debbie Howard -
Magnet Academy Coordinator
Magnet Assistant Coordinator
J.L. Mann Magnet Program
If you are a student seeking a high school that offers a demanding curriculum and that rewards excellence, JL Mann Academy should be your school of choice. The goals of our Academy are:
- To expand STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) learning opportunities to attract motivated high school students of different racial, ethnic, social, and economic communities of Greenville
- To provide in-depth courses of study in the sciences, mathematics, and technology that can lead to post-secondary education or career opportunities for every student
- To expand STEM-focused project based learning (PBL) and foster a student-centered classroom culture through the New Tech Network
- To extend learning opportunities in the humanities, arts, and languages in a comprehensive, rigorous, and well-rounded educational program for all students.
Students who are approved and choose to enroll in the Academy will be offered a choice of three rigorous academic pathways: mathematics, science and technology. Course offerings include an array of CP, Honors and Advanced Placement courses taught by highly qualified instructors. A number of these faculty members hold doctoral degrees, have taught at the college level, and are Board Certified educators. Many elective courses are offered every other year. This expands the possible choices for our students who want to pursue college degrees and careers in math, science, engineering, and/or technology. Students compete for seats in the Accelerate engineering distance-learning program, offered by the SC Governors School of Science and Math. With approval from the Magnet Committee, some students seeking the Magnet Distinction award may choose to complete their requirements in Science or Technology at our district career centers. While magnet students MUST follow one of the three academic pathways selected in the application process, this same choice is open to ANY student enrolled at JL Mann Academy.
Students who see a future in STEM-focused fields as well as those who wish to be prepared for the most challenging university programs in other disciplines, need more than the core offerings of our magnet program. Those who complete the requirements for Magnet Distinction will take three years of the same world language (French or Spanish), gain skill in technical writing and expression, earn at least one credit in visual or performing arts, and complete an independent Senior Project. J.L. Mann Academy also offers a sequence of honors, AP, and college preparatory courses in the social sciences, humanities and computer technology.
Our Academy’s mission is to foster an environment of high academic standards and provide a challenging curriculum where students can engage, learn, achieve and prepare for college and careers.
Forms & Information
- Magnet Academy FAQ's and Application
- Homebase Student FAQ
- Magnet Academy Enrollment Letter
- Magnet Academy Course of Studies
- Technology Magnet Focus: Visual Arts Emphasis
- Magnet Academy Student Contract
- Magnet Academy Transportation Request
- Transportation - Courtesy Stops