School Goals 2012-2013
Goal #1: All students will graduate in four years.
Objective 1: Average student attendance will increase to 97. 0% 2012-2013.
- Teachers will carefully monitor student absences. Teachers will phone parent(s) when students miss 5 days of a yearly course or 3 days of a semester course.
- Teachers will give students updates on attendance as needed. Attendance record keeping will be paperless. Each classroom will have individual software for more accuracy.
Objective 2: Students will meet SC state requirements for graduation (to prevent dropout rate).
- Students will pass HSAP by their senior year. Incoming at-risk students will be double blocked in math and English.
- Students will receive at least 24 Carnegie units. Students will keep portfolios containing graduation requirements (IGPs).
- Students will not have excessive absences in courses (no more than 10 in a yearly course). See Goal 1, Objective 1.
Objective 3: Each eligible student will pass end of course tests.
- Students will set their own goals and regularly assess their goals according to State Curriculum Standards. Students will confer with teachers and guidance counselors to assess their goals.
- Teachers will use monthly department meetings to develop strategies for passing these tests. Students will master standards for the core curriculum.
Objective 4: Each eligible student will pass HSAP (85% on first attempt, 100% by graduation).
- Teachers will use state criterion in instruction planning.
- Teachers will use monthly department meetings to develop strategies for passing HSAP.
- Teachers will demonstrate and encourage classroom observations to promote proper teaching of standards. Teachers will receive informal and formal observations.
- Students will have a tutoring option for help in the area of Exit Exam.
- Students will have access to online HSAP and EOCE prep programs.
Goal #2: Students will participate in a rigorous curriculum which will prepare them for higher education and the workplace.
Objective 1: We will improve student learning and achievement by reducing the retention rate in each grade.
- The school will adjust scheduling to reflect the needs of at-risk students.
- The school will work with Graduate Greenville to provide additional support structures for at0risk students.
- The school will provide multiple tutoring programs for student academic assistance each day.
Objective 2: Enrollment of a diverse population of students will increase in AP/upper level courses.
Objective 3: The number of students enrolled in honors and AP courses will increase.
- The school will increase vertical teaming with middle school feeders.
- Teachers will use interdisciplinary teaching to promote AP/upper level course enrollment.
- Students will be educated on the AP/upper level course program through a Curriculum Night and the experiences of fellow students.
Objective 4: The average student SAT score of GHS students taking the test will increase by 10 points annually.
- Continue offering the SAT workshop.
- Continue encouraging SAT preparation using practice books and online tutorial.
- Require all teachers to include vocabulary acquisition skills and writing across the curriculum.
Goal #3: We will provide effective and innovative instruction for all students.
Objective 1: The faculty will consist of certified teachers (who teach only in their content area) who share successful teaching practices.
- The school will implement methods of in-house sharing of innovative practices.
- The school will encourage participation in local and district workshops and conventions.
- All teachers will be highly qualified and certified for the No Child Left Behind Act.
Objective 2: Teachers will increase utilization of progressive technology in the instructional program.
- The school will provide staff development opportunities in the use of new and current equipment and software.
- The school will provide each classroom with computers and make available progressive technology.
Objective 3: Teachers will implement the state standards in each area that applies to Greenville High Academy.
- Each department member will teach the state curriculum standards for his/her curriculum.
- Teachers will be observed by administration and will receive timely feedback.
Goal #4: Involvement and communication will increase in the Greenville High School community.
Objective 1: To increase the number of parents and/or guardians involved in the school.
- Teachers will contact parents/guardians through phone or email at the beginning of each year.
- The school will saturate the community with mailings to encourage attendance at Curriculum Night and other events.
Objective 2: To improve relationships between the school and the business community.
- The school will create new and continue existing programs with businesses.
- Staff will communicate with the media to promote a positive image of GHS.
- The school will continue and improve The Business Education Partnership.
Objective 3: To improve communication between parents and teachers.
- The school will provide an in-service for teachers on improving methods of communication in classroom situations.
- Teachers will attend Open House at the beginning of the year.
- School will provide student handbook and athletic