Eagles soar together,
wear the Blue and Gold.
learning are our goals.
hands in total friendship,
hearts in brotherhood,
Work to see
your goals accomplished,
for truth and good.
time is swiftly passing,
farewells soon must be.
We can keep
you, Eastside High School,
High School is the educational center of our community. Our faculty,
students, and parents share a deep sense of pride and commitment to our
school. Excellence is expected, nurtured, and celebrated at Eastside. As
a learning community, we strive to ensure quality and equity in a
positive atmosphere with a strong emphasis on academics, athletics, and
THROUGH HUMAN UNDERSTANDING," Eastside's motto, has served as
Eastside's focus since 1970 and carried her through many accomplishments
in academics, athletics, citizenship, pride and loyalty.
first opened its doors to 650 students in August of 1970. The students
came from Wade Hampton, Lincoln, Greer, and J.L. Mann High Schools. Mr.
John Durr, Eastside's first principal, welcomed Eastside's first student
body and shared his vision of a strong, united, spirited,and
comprehensive community high school whose students could realize their
goals and reach their full potential. During its first year, Eastside
established school colors of royal blue and gold, chose the eagle as its
mascot, decided upon its motto, printed its first school newspaper (The
Eagle's Cry), and began its first yearbook (Aurea Aquila). Eastside also
formed its chapter of the National Honor Society and began its marching
band (without uniforms).
1973, Eastside's student body had doubled in size; the building had also
been enlarged to accommodate this growth. Mr. Eddie Jones became
Eastside's second principal at the beginning of the 1973-1974 academic
year. In the fall of 1975, Dr. Leonard Pellicer became Eastside's third
principal. By 1977 athletics became the focus for school spirit and
pride. The football team, under the direction of John Carlisle, won
Eastside's first state championship. Mr. J. Brodie Bricker became
Eastside's fourth principal beginning in 1977 and remained in that
position longer than any other principal. Mr. Bricker established the
slogan "PRIDE OF THE UPCOUNTRY" to designate Eastside's
1980's saw Eastside's student population increase to over 1400. Dr.
Alexia Latimer established the first computer lab in the School District
of Greenville County. Natural Helpers, a national peer counseling
organization, was established as the first in Greenville County as well
as in South Carolina. In 1987 Eastside was entered in the Guinness Book
of World Records for the world's largest car wash (over 1000 cars in a
single day.) 1987 also brought Betty Workman as Eastside's first female
principal. Mrs. Workman, who had been at Eastside since it's opening,
continued the leadership of Eastside with excellence. Dr. Lacy Wilkins
began his stewardship at Eastside in the fall of 1988 and initiated
students reciting the Pledge of Allegiance at the beginning of the
1990's witnessed the reconstruction of Eastside's football stadium and
also ushered in the concept of Site-Based Management. Eastside's seventh
principal, Ken Peake, began his leadership role in 1993. Eastside
celebrated its twenty-fifth anniversary at the time Mr. Peake was
principal. Mr. Dave Quick served as principal between 1995 and 1998 and
was followed by Mr. Buddy Blackmon at the beginning of the 1998 school
year. Mrs. Sheryl Taylor became the interim principal beginning in
August, 2000, and thus is Eastside's second female principal.
is the fulfillment of a vision, inspired by her leaders -- students,
teachers, administrators, parents, and all the supportive citizens of
the community -- a team effort that gives special meaning to
"Strength Through Human Understanding".